Founded by the former Pictou Mutual Insurance Company to support Nova Scotia Communities, Pictou Mutual Community Foundation began in 2009 to help provide support and assistance to the communities that helped make their business possible. Thanks to the continuing support of our patrons, notably Kings Mutual Insurance Company, we are pleased to be entering our 10th year of operation!
Mission Statement & Values
To support the communities served formerly by Pictou Mutual Insurance Company by aiding and supporting social services, education, health, cultural and environmental activities as may be in the best interests of these communities.
We believe in promoting strong communities in areas in which Pictou Mutual Insurance Company did business. We want to make effective grants that make a difference. We believe in making grants to effective, well-managed charities with reasonable administrative and fund raising costs. We will develop new ideas with experience so as to continue to develop our priorities and exclusions.
We believe in grants for general purposes as well as specific health and educational projects, and provide to organizations that promote the interests of Pictou Mutual Insurance Company as well as the public interest.
The foundations values include
- Promoting strong communities in areas where Pictou Mutual Insurance Company did business;
- Making effective grants that make a positive difference;
- Granting funds to effective, well-managed charities with reasonable administrative and fundraising costs;
- Giving grants for general purposes as well as specific health and educational projects;
- Giving grants to organizations that promote the interests of Pictou Farmers Mutual as well as the public.
The foundation is incorporated under the Canadian Corporations Act and is a registered private charitable foundation under the Income Tax Act. All initial funding had been graciously provided by Pictou Mutual Insurance Company. Our goal is to carefully manage and grow the Pictou Mutual Community Foundation to be one of the largest in Atlantic Canada so that we can support even more communities.